Heart Like Mine: A Novel by Amy Hatvany

Heart Like Mine: A NovelHeart Like Mine: A Novel by Amy Hatvany
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

**First of all I would like to say this was an uncorrected ARC via Netgalley, Heart Like Mine comes out March 19th, 2013.**

Nobody is perfect, we all have our stories to tell, some are more tragic then the others. Things happen, it can break you or make you stronger. Time doesn't make the hurt go away, doesn't make you forget, it's these moments that decide how you are going to live.

Heart Like Mine is told from the pov of Grace and Ava. With Kelli's story being told weaved in between. Amy Hatvany has written such an emotional story, the reader will have no trouble connecting to at least one of the characters. Grace a women who never wanted to be a mom, Ava a young girl who's is forced to grow up way too fast, and Kelli who just wanted to be loved and motherhood is all she has.

I have to be honest, I know I'm probably in the minority when I say this but didn't really like Grace when this book started, actually I didn't really like her through out most of the story. When she did start to grow on me she would just take two steps back and I would go back to not liking her. I couldn't connect with her character, she seemed selfish at times. Even though the thoughts she has are probably normal ones for someone going through everything that had happened. Nearing the end and also when I sat and thought back over it all, I think I could finally say, 'okay she's not that bad.'

Ava has been through so much at such a young age, having help her emotional mother (Kelli) with her little brother Max and other things around the house, like paying the bills. Her parents divorce and her fathers girlfriend, Grace. And now facing her mothers death and wondering if she really knew her at all. I think I could connect with her a little more, I found her actions to be understandable, she's a thirteen year old who's whole world has been turned upside down and ripped apart.

Kelli, your story ended much too soon, my heart broke for you.

The ending for me is the main thing about this book I didn't like. I wanted more of Kelli's story, I wanted to see it played out to the end. It felt rushed and just tossed in to be finished and done with. So now I'm left with unanswered questions.

So many emotions surged through me while reading this book. The amount of times I cried, I wouldn't be able to tell you. My heart broke over and over again for Kelli, for Ava and Max, for them all. Then at other times I felt pure hate, this hate directed at Kelli's parents. All I can say is, I hate you.






View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#bookreview Escaping First Contact by T.S Beier #booktour

Little White Hands by Mark Cushen (#bookreveiw + #giveaway int) #bookblitz

Skinned by Robin Wasserman