A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's Story by Brenda Ashford

A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's StoryA Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's Story by Brenda Ashford
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

From the very start of the Spoonful of Sugar, I found Brenda Ashford to be an inspirational lady, I could not wait to read on...

Heartwarming and Heartbreaking.
As the words and pages past me by, I could not help but feel that warm feeling inside, I think to be one of the many people Brenda has touch would surely be a blessing. Reading these words made my heart swell with such admiration and hope. If I am fortunate enough to make it that far in years, I could only hope to be as blessed as her.

Each opening chapter we are given a little nursery rhyme or lullaby, and I can only imagine the number of times she has spoken those words to a sleepy or upset child. Then at the end of them she has included a section titled "The Nannys Wisdom", they are filled with wonderful advice and information, and sometimes one of her family recipes. :)

Brenda Ashford has opened up to us and shared so many wonderful memories. Memories that must have brought new smiles as well as fresh tears to her face. The things she has seen and lived through.

In her early years of a being a Nanny the world was at war, WWII was shaking the the earth to it's core. So not only were her charges the children of private households but many of her early ones were those poor children who had to be taken from there homes and families. Then there where those little ones who have been treated wrong.

"Love Never Faileth"
-Norland motto

I wonder what become of those ones, the ones who were abandoned and ignored? I wonder about the all the lives that this lady touched, what happened to them?

It has been such a joy and pleasure to view this wonderful lady's life. It has truly been an eye opening experience for myself, as I have taken many breaks to reflect over the words I have read and how they affect my own life and how I want them too. Brenda Ashford hasn't just written about her life and experiences but she has given us, the reader a chance to relive them our selves. We get to share in her childhood, her days learning to be a Norland nanny, WWII and life after war and changes that came with it for both herself and the world. For I truly felt all she felt, she took me back to another time and place and made me feel as if I was watching her life as her life happened. As I have said, she is an inspiration. And yes she really is Britain's oldest and longest-serving nanny.

Thank you Brenda Asford for sharing with us your life, your stories, for thoughts, your fears, your emotions, thank you for sharing yourself to the children in your care, to us the reader and the world. It has been an honor to have gotten the opportunity to read your story.

"I think you are a super nana" (Penny,one of the little girls Brenda cared for.) I would have to agree.

*Copy provided by Doubleday via NetGalley*

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#bookreview Escaping First Contact by T.S Beier #booktour

Little White Hands by Mark Cushen (#bookreveiw + #giveaway int) #bookblitz

Skinned by Robin Wasserman